Companies Started by Graduates
|Dell'Arte International training emphasizes the work of artists in ensemble, and the work of the artist as entrepreneur. Dozens of our alumni over the years have started their own companies; we are proud to say that many of these are going strong after three, five, even ten or more years.......
- Paul Kalina ('97) is co-founder of 500 Clown in Chicago
- Mara Neimanis ('98) founded Inflight Theatre, an aerial company in Baltimore, Maryland.
- Liza Bielby (MFA '08) and Richard Newman (03) are co-founders and artistic directors of The Hinterlands, featured in the July 1, 2011 NY Times:
- Stephen Buescher and Emilia My Sumelius founded Workhorse in Providence; Buescher is now Head of Movement at ACT (American Conservatory Theatre, San Francisco)
- Bob Rosen (76) co-founded Theatre de la Jeune Lune in Minneapolis; now runs Studio 206
- Nakupelle Mask Theatre, founded by Joe ('89) and Minna ('91) Dieffenbacher, Oxford, England. Joe is now Director of the San Francisco Clown Conservatory
- Barney Baggett (MFA '09) co-founded Machine Theatre of Charlotte, NC
- Xstine Cook and Dean Bareham founded Greenfools Physical Theatre Ensemble in Calgary, Alberta. Cook is now Artistic Director of the Calgary Animated Objects Festival
- Debbie McMahon ('03, Alumni Advisory Board member) founded the Grand Guignolers in Los Angeles.
- Shenoah Allen (97) co-founded Pajama Men in Albuquerque, NM
- Jens Kloft ('83) founded Braendende Kaerlighed (Burning Love) in Copenhagen, Denmark; they tour internationally with outdoor shows
- Liebe Wetzel (91) is founding artistic director of Lunatique Fantastique in San Francisco
- Adam Gertsacov created the Acme Flea Circus
- Dana Wieluns (95) is a founding member and Co-Artistic Director of Ziggurat Theatre Ensemble in Bowdoinham, Maine
- Jonathan Taylor(98), Anthony Courser(98), and Shaw Nigro(99)started the clown troupe, Asylum 137
- Kali Quinn (MFA '06, Alumni Advisory Board member) co-founded GutWorks in NY. She now works for the Academia Dell'Arte in Italy
- Gail Grigg (97), Seth Reichgott (97), Sondra Blonchard (96), and Dee King (00) created Belligerent Muse, Philadelphia
- Todd Espeland (94) is the founder of the touring troupe Commedia Zuppa.
- Counternotes, Canada, founded by by Zach Smith (99)
- Annie Dugan (97) created Firefly Theatre and Circus, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Hotel Obligado in Philadelphia founded by Dawn Falato, Aaron Cromie, Robin Marcotte, Elisa Lane (all 01)
- Lindsay Lucas (02) co-founded Insight Out Theatre Collective in Portland, OR
- Greg Maupin (01) is the founder of the Le Petomane Ensemble in Kentucky
- Mary Montgomery (99) created a non-profit organization under The California Assemblies of Local Arts Agencies called Movement For Kids
- Heather Pearl Cromie and Michael O'Neill started Nomadic Theatre in Portland, OR
- Jamie Peck founded Nutshell Masks & Theater in Ashland, OR
- Gart T. Westerhout (91) is the founder and director of the Osugi Musical Theatre (OMT) in Komatsu, Japan
- Anna K. Soderberg (00), Radiant Theatre in Portland, OR
- Courtney Lengyl and Tom Jansson (both 03) founded Simple Machines in Chicago
- Michele Schultz (96) created TaskMaskers Company
- David Ferney (87), Four On The Floor, BC, now in Arcata, CA. David now operates the Arcata Playhouse.
- Dawn Larned, Coby Fisher, Matt Roberts, Eruch Ernst, Gwen Rooker, Terry Brennan and Jay Wojnarowski (all 02) started the Tribe of Fools, Philadelphia
- Under the Table in NYC founded by Liz Turkel and Matt Chapman (both '01)
- Crsipi Porat (00) co-founded Wide Open Theatrical Escapades in Saskatchewan, Canada
- Theatret Thalias Tjenere in Denmark created by Linda Fallentin (PTP 92), Stephan Vernier (PTP 92), Conny Radza (93) and Dorte Riis (92). Current company members also include Brian Samsboe (97), Sune Abel (02), Helga Rosenfeldt-Olsen (MFA 07)
- The Acrobuffos: Laughmakers, Street Players, & Knockabout Philosophers created by Seth Bloom (97) and Christina Gelsone (98)
- Deepal Doshi (MFA 09) co-founded MadBall Theatre with Pratik Motwani (MFA 12) and Kathryn Tabone (MFA '11)
- Naked Empire Bouffon Company was founded by Artistic Director, Nathaniel Justiniano (MFA '08)
- Andrew Phoenix (MFA ’07) and Kate Braidwood (MFA ’08) co-founded Wonderheads Mask Company
- Helga Rosenfeldt-OIsen created the company, Teaterministeriet, in Denmark
- Nick Trotter (MFA ’08) and Jerry Lee Wallace (05) co-founded THIRD BASE!
- Genesee Spridco (MFA ’10) is the Founding Artistic Director of Suitcase Shakespeare Company in Chicago, IL
- Elizabeth Klinger (MFA '06) founded Tightrope Theatre of Portland, OR.
- Tara Cariaso (MFA '08) founded Waxing Moon Masks.
- Betsy Cross (MFA '06) founded Betsy & Iya, a jewelry company in Portland, OR.